ページの先頭です。 メニューを飛ばして本文へ

School of Medicine

School of Medicine

Establishment of the School of Medicine
The School of Medicine was established in 1928 as the Kyushu Medical School with a four-year program of study. In 1943, the Kyushu Medical School was reorganized as the Kyushu Higher Medical School with a five-year program of study.
A further reorganization in 1946 raised the status of the school with a new program consisting of a three-year Preparatory Course and a four-year Medical Education Program. The school was renamed Kurume Medical College. Then, with the founding of Kurume University and the establishment of the Faculty of Commerce in 1950, the Kurume Medical College was renamed Kurume University School of Medicine in 1952.

Picture of School of Medicine

Establishment of the Specialized Institutes
To facilitate the expansion and the advance in status, of the university, a six-story Basic Medical Science Building was constructed in 1955 which housed the Departments of Physiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Public Health, Environmental Medicine and Parasitology.
Further growth was marked by the establishment in 1959 of the Cardiovascular Research Institute and in 1963 of the Institute of Brain Diseases, with construction of suitable facilities to house these Institutes.

Expansion of Campus Facilities
In 1967, a new library facility was constructed, financed by a private gift from Mr. Shojiro Ishibashi. This was followed in 1970 by construction of the Institute of Animal Experimentation and in 1974 by construction of a new lecture hall (now called the Lecture Hall Building II) and the Radioisotope Institute facility. In 1981, the seven-story Basic Medical Science Building 1 was built which now houses the Departments of Anatomy, Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, Pathology, Parasitology, and Forensic Medicine and Human Genetics. In 1991, another seven-story building (Basic Medical Science Building 2) was constructed into which the Departments of Physiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Public Health and Environmental Medicine moved from the previous Medical Science Building. The Divisions of Basic Sciences, such as Biology, Chemistry and Physics, also moved into the Basic Medical Science Building 2. The six-story Lecture Hall Building 1 was constructed in 1993 at the former site of the Basic Medical Science Building.

Goal of the School of Medicine
The goal of the School of Medicine has been since its inception to educate highly capable medical practitioners and endow them with superb humanitarian values. Nearly seventy years of the School's history has clearly shown that this goal has been effectively attained. More than 8,000 graduates have actively participated in the private and public practice of Medicine, as well as in the Medical Sciences and research in related fields.
The School of Medicine presently offers a six-year educational program. Each incoming class comprises approximately 100 highly qualified students. Faculty members in basic and clinical departments have received high evaluation on their achievements by domestic and foreign authorities in the biomedical sciences.

 

School of Nursing

The School of Nursing was founded in 1994, with a four-year course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
The educational aims of the School of Nursing are to produce graduates fully capable of contributing to health care through the art and science of nursing, and to promote the overall advancement of nursing sciences. There are approximately 100 students accepted each year, and the division has a faculty of 31 full-time teaching staff.
Special characteristics of the school’s curriculum include: early exposure to real-life job situations, a learning structure which promotes better communication and teamwork (i.e. case studies between nursing and medical students), caregiving for terminal patients, international nursing, and environmental health. Also included are small group, statistical and step-by-step study in order to develop better critical thinking skills on the part of the students.

 

Picture of School of Nursing